Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas Challenge: FILTHY FIFTY!!!

My stomach has literally been in knots all week long in preparation for this WOD. In fact, as I was standing in line waiting for my group to start, I felt like I was going to have spontaneous diahrrea. TMI, you say? Deal with it! This was an intimidating WOD, by far one of the top two hardest I've ever done. Add to that the fact that I am struggling to have the time to attend regularly over the last week due to holiday fracas and mayhem, so I probably was not at my leanest and strongest. Nonetheless, I gave 110% and can say that it is finally behind me.

So here is the breakdown of "Filthy Fifty":

For time:

50 24" box jumps
50 jumping pull ups
50 1 pood kettlebell swings
50 walking lunges
50 knees to elbows
50 push press (45#)
50 GHD back extensions
50 wall ball (20# for men, 14# for women)
50 burpees
50 double unders

We ran these in heats, each one three minutes apart. It was nice that everyone was able to work at their own speed so that you didn't have a million people just sitting around watching you suffer for God-knows-how-long. However, I would not have been able to make it through Filthy Fifty had it not been for my teammate "S" who was helping me to count and stay on task. She was a great cheerleader and motivator. I truly could not have done it without her -- my will would've given up and I would've been sorely disappointed in myself.

Hands down, the hardest exercise for me mentally was wall balls. I don't do these often, and when I do I really hate them. I started off with the 14# ball, but my forearms were so crapped out from everything else I had done up to that point that that I just couldn't get my grip on that weight, and it was throwing me around. I couldn't even toss it up remotely high enough to get one good one, so when the girl next to me finished hers, I grabbed the 10# ball and nugged them out.

Box jumps are OK for me, but it seems like I'm slow coming off the box. The surface was wet, which kinda spooked me a little bit, but I never slipped and got past them.

The jumping pull ups went well. Those are coming along nicely for me, and I might be able to get my kip thrown in there soon. I was proud of these.

Kettlebell swings went pretty well. I had to break these down into sets of ten for two reasons. One, my forearms were starting to fatigue, and two, I was starting to feel dizzy. Otherwise, these went really well, and I was able to maintain form with no problem.

KTE is when my forearms really started being unhappy with me. I almost balked and did the modified ones, but I am very glad that I didn't. I did the true KTE for the full 50 reps. I was doing 3-2-3-2 to get my sets of 10. It was a slow, painful process, but they got done.

Push press was difficult. Good, but difficult. Again, I almost grabbed the 35# bar, but had I done that, I would not have been pushing myself and would've been feeling guilty afterwards. My regular coach was there to help, and she kept me moving 5 reps at a time. It always seems like the hardest ones to do are reps 20-35, but after that you are downhill.

GHD back extensions are easy for me. I had really wanted to make up time here, but my hamstrings kept threatening to cramp up hard, so I was doing 5 at a time and 3 towards the end. Unexpectedly harder than I had planned.

Burpees whipped my butt. Yet another sweet friend came over there to cheer me on, along with S and my coach. She even offered to knock out 10 for me, but I told her that I had to do all of them. Wouldn't have been able to live with myself had I not done each and every one. But I tell you, it was so motivational to have her right there next to me working on those God-forsaken burpees! I felt myself on the verge of passing out with the burpees, so I rested between sets of 10. These suckers felt like they took a long time to do, almost as bad as wall balls.

Lastly, I knocked out my double unders like no one's business. I've really improved in these over the last month or so. The only problem was the bladder factor. The times I stopped and started again was in order to prevent a very unsightly problem thanks to the fact that I have "mommy bladder" after having had kids. Those of you with this medical condition know exactly what I'm talking about -- I won't gross out the men with the gory details. You're welcome!

After we had all finished, we schlepped out to my coach's house for a paleo meal of steak kabobs and grilled veggies. They treated everyone to carriage rides through town as well, so it was a true holiday event. We had such a blast! And it was really neat to get to visit with the folks in all the other classes. We truly have a dedicated group of athletes and coaches at this gym, and we all come from various walks of life. It's been a lot of fun getting to know everyone and to see the camraderie that is emerging through pushing ourselves and each other.

As for tomorrow, we've got another "biggie" coming up. No rest for the weary, right? That's OK, because at CrossFit Centex we are all truly FORGING ELITE FITNESS!

Posted time: 47:30

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some constructive criticism or kudos? Bring it on! 3...2...1...GO!