Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Don't Be A Jerk

WOD: Split jerk 1RM, 10 min. of HSPUs, 10 min. of ring rows

So, yet again, I've been back out of the gym. I'm tired and jet lagged, yet again. Ad nauseum. I am getting so tired of popping in and out of my workout routine. I went on a "business" trip out of state, didn't work out for five days, ate like a pig and drank like a fish, and I wonder why I'm worn out?!?

I am fairly certain I've strained my back somehow a few weeks ago when we were working on push press maxes. I can feel a very specific spot, somewhere around T7 or so, something that feels like a spot where I could just crack in half. It doesn't bother me at all until I'm doing things at the gym, and then it only bothers me during specific lifts or ranges of motion. I'm trying very hard to be aware of it, intentionally engage my core, and know my limits. I suspect that I have lost a lot of core strength. I think this has been happening gradually, just like my shoulders seem to have lost some strength. I can't really tell what's been going on or just what my "problem" is these days with my core and arms. I just know that things don't seem right. Considering where my back is hurting, T7 would make a lot of sense. It might be worth taking a stop into a chiropractor's office sometime soon to further investigate.

At any rate, the split jerk was a new one for me. I've done plenty of clean and jerks, so this was a little bit less work on the rest of my body. I was soooo close to 95# but just either didn't explode fast enough, get under the bar quick enough, or a combination of the two to complete the lift at 95#. I think I would be able to tell what was lacking had I seen a playback, but as I don't tape this stuff, I can't look at it objectively. I suspect it was explosion that was lacking.

The ring rows were much harder than the modified HSPUs. Again, there is a lot of core involved in the ring rows, and I think that made it the harder of the two for me. I was only able to get about 35 ring rows but got around 65 modified HSPUs.

I made a point to do some ab mat sit ups, kettlebell swings, and pull ups with the green band before I left for a little bit of skill work to make up for missing class yesterday as I was travelling. YET AGAIN I will miss tomorrow to chaperone a field trip for one of my kids but will make it up on Thursday, God willing. It looks like a doozie...

Posted Split Jerk Max: 90#

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some constructive criticism or kudos? Bring it on! 3...2...1...GO!