Thursday, September 10, 2009

Show Me Your Jazzhands -- NOT!

So I'm on my way to Day 2 of my CrossFit Elements class when it occurs to me that, as much as I'm in the gym and care about exercise, I should be blogging regularly about this. But the journalistic focus over at One More Thing really is one of passing along introspection and experience, fostering debate, challenging my readers, talking religion and politics, and so on. I decided that I needed an appropriate forum for my thoughts and experiences as they relate to exercise, nutrition, and being a thirty year-old woman who leads an insanely busy life and is trying to fight middle-aged spread and gravity. Hence the new blog.


What you will not see on this blog:




I just cannot bring myself to join groups of women who wear make up to the gym. I do not go to gyms to stand around and talk (believe it or not), although there is definitely social interaction going on. I do not get on any machines with reading material. I don't want to be in a class where the instructor wears a headset that is connected to a PA system blaring out '80s classics playing so fast it sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks have decided to peform covers of Blondie and M.C. Hammer songs.

What you will see on this blog:


When I work out, being indoors or outdoors, I look like I've gone swimming in my clothes. I have to buy new running shoes several times a year because they break down and stop supporting my feet. The only music in my ears is raging at at least 120 bpm. If I am in a workout routine for much longer than six months, I get bored and either slack off in my workouts or I start on something completely different. And I cannot put fast food in my mouth anymore without feeling a little bit icky.

Let me be the first to say that, if you love and adore your local gym and some of their aerobics classes, then I am proud of you. You are one of the few Americans who will put down the coffee and donuts and commit to doing something active. You have bought years back of your life, for the ones you love and most importantly for yourself. I have been in some similar classes that were a lot of fun and a nice change of pace for me. It motivates me to see women of all ages and walks in life take charge of their health and their looks and start kicking butt. It also motivates me to see the one stray man in a room full of women try to coordinate their movements up and down from a step.

I've just reached a place where I want a little bit more, and I'd like to share my experience (and no doubt plenty of pain!) with you. Live vicariously through me if you want, or join me in battle, my friend.

I will try to post on days when I'm doing CrossFit at CrossFit Centex and tell you about my progress through the WODs (Workout of the Day). On the days I head to the gym for pilates, I'll chat about that. Other days I'd like to toss out ideas about learning about biking, hiking, and my favorite subject: food. I'd really love to hear from anyone who has tips or knowledge to share, too.

So don't hold a spot for me at Jazzercise -- I'll be down at the CrossFit gym working on my squats and learning how to do a decent pull up. But keep your cell phone handy -- I might be too tired to move when I'm done!

-GGG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some constructive criticism or kudos? Bring it on! 3...2...1...GO!