Monday, September 28, 2009

Monday Morning Butt Kickin'

Warm up: 20 modified HSPUs, practice hand stands, 10 GHD sit-ups, 10 GHD back extensions.

WOD: "Christine" -- 3 rounds for time of: 500m row, 12 deadlifts (0.5 bodyweight), 21 box jumps (16" box).


First of all, I want to say how bummed I am that I missed Muddy Buddy day last Friday. Instead of doing things like bear crawls, wheelbarrows, ball tosses, and other relay-style fun exercises, I was lying on my back in a pink paper gown having my tender mercies poked and prodded for my yearly exam. Yippee.


So, after a bit of a hiatus, I was ready to get back to it this morning. It was nice outside this morning, thankfully with a cool breeze that I would enjoy after the WOD. We all gathered around the tractor tire to practice modified hand stand push-ups (HSPUs). Even modified they are still hard. I was really proud of myself when we got up against the wall to practice hand stands. I was able to get my legs up there and hold very still for at least 10 seconds at a time. I felt very stable and might have even been able to attempt a HSPU had I been brave enough. I love the GHD and really like the sit-ups the best. I am planning on adding 10-20 of them both at the end of each work out just to maintain core strength.


Christine, Christine. What can I say... Christine would be the kind of girl that seems cute and easy to get along with on the first couple of dates that reveals her true colors the day after you've made the committment to say you're exclusively dating. This was such a deceiving little sucker! I love rowing, but that was really hard. It really made my left knee, really the muscles just above it, really tight and not want to bend for the lifts or jump up on the box. Any WOD that involves rowing can be tricky because your legs feel like such jello when you get off, and 500m is a significant enough distance to have this effect on me.


I was excited to finally do some of the lifting. It's something that intimidates me but thrills me simultaneously. I realized how important it was not to ease the weight down but to let it fall, so to speak. A couple of times when my left knee was really tight I just sank down sloppily with the weight, and I just hope and pray I don't pay for it later. I was only using 65# of weight, so thankfully it was suprisingly light. When I get going fast, though, it's hard to remember that form, but it's so, so important.


Box jumping is just no fun. I was kinda proud of myself during elements for how high I can jump, but it's such a crap out during a workout. P.U., plain and simple. But I think I'd rather do that than pull-ups...


By the time I finished the last box jump, I remember thinking I couldn't possibly take one more step or do one more rep. I was tapped.out. The only position that could bring me relief was to lay out flat on the parking lot, in the shade of the building where I could catch that aforementioned breeze. I've always seen CrossFitters collapse like that but never done it myself. Now I know. I'm also proud of myself for not barfing, because that was a serious possibility today!


Posted Time: 14:47, using 65# on deadlift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some constructive criticism or kudos? Bring it on! 3...2...1...GO!