Thursday, October 1, 2009

Rest Day -- Food For Thought

Hallelujah! And boy did I need the rest. That is one component of CrossFit that I admit I am neglecting, and it is really starting to show. Our bodies need the right fuel and rest to make our workouts effective. Now that I'm used to being up and moving early in the day, I couldn't make myself take a nap this morning, but just taking it easy, drinking lots of water, and not exercising was just what the doctor ordered for me. And thankfully, tomorrow's WOD doesn't involve squats. I think.

Food for thought: Patsy Clairmont is a Christian motivational speaker for Women of Faith. She is a tiny lady but big on personality and has a hilarious sense of humor. She may seem wimpy at times, but she has a gift for insight and how to put even mundane, everyday events into a spiritual perspective that I can appreciate. A friend of mine shared a letter that Patsy wrote recently on her website that I found interesting. What she discusses has a lot to do with why I decided to get back into the gym and take control of my fitness and well-being two years ago.

Enjoy! I'll report in again tomorrow after my WOD...

September 29, 2009

Dear Friends,

One month ago I joined a gym―again. I think I have joined about seven or eight gyms in my time. I am very good at joining them; I've just never really got the part of actually going to them down. I'm not quite sure what the ‘disconnect’ is.

Here’s how it goes: When I finally steel myself to walk through those doors and sign up, I am very excited. I take the tour, admire the machines and return the hopeful smiles of those who are actually engaged in sweating off the pounds. My usual next step is to drive to the sporting goods store to buy my little workout outfit, as one has to look the part.

The only trouble with exercise clothes is that they tend to cling. My whole reason for going to the gym is that I have reached a cling-free zone in life where clinging is not an attractive option. So I settle for workout pants and a non-clingy t-shirt, as I cannot imagine surviving for an hour in a gym holding my stomach in.

So far, so good; but then the next morning comes. I wake up and look at the outfit waiting for me on the chair by my bed. I think to myself, “Why did I pick that color of t-shirt? I wonder if I’m getting sick? It’s probably better to work out later in the day.” Then, a miracle happens. Belle, one of our two Bichon’s, picks up one of my Nike shoes and runs off with it. It’s a sign! God does not want me to work out and I, as a humble servant, must obey. Pretty pathetic, huh? So why did I start the process off all over again a month ago?

I think the answer lies in a greater understanding that what I do in every area of my life today will affect all my tomorrows. If I want to have a fit, healthy body to serve God tomorrow then I need to take care of it today. If I want to have an ongoing great relationship with my son, Christian, tomorrow, then I invest myself in his life today no matter how tired I am. If I want to experience the peace that comes from a deep awareness of the presence of Christ today and tomorrow, then I need to spend time with him, leaning in, listening and resting.

Small intentional changes gather momentum as the days pass―so my prayer for you and for me is that by God’s grace we will take the kind of baby steps that lead us all the way home.

Much love,

Patsy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some constructive criticism or kudos? Bring it on! 3...2...1...GO!