Friday, October 2, 2009

You Say "Ta-bay-ta", I Say "Ta-bah-ta"...

Warm up: muscle-up progressions, playtime on the rings
WOD: Tabata sit-ups, superman lifts, flutter kicks, planks
Challenge: KTE (knees to elbows)

First of all, let me just say that my quads were thankful that there was no mention of squats on the board for today's WOD. My quads were unhappy enough about the flutter kicks toward the end, but I'll get to that.

Muscle-ups are one of three CrossFit exercises that I could just live without. (Subsequently, the other two are burpees and thrusters, but I'll blog about those as they come along.) Even doing these assisted with my legs on the ground was hard and proof-positive that I'm nowhere near bad-ass level quite yet. The rings in general are quite challenging because of all the muscle groups that come into play. There is balance, core strength, shoulders, traps, and arms, not to mention the mental focus you need to pull this off. It's a butt-kicker to be sure.

We also spent a few minutes "playing," by which I mean doing things that feel like playground fun. We did "skin the cat" but in stead of flipping all the way through, you come back over. The biggest problem I have is getting my legs up there, but once they're up, this one is fun. I can also get my legs up over my head to invert straight up and down, but I think I scared my coach because it looked to him like my grip was slipping, so I won't do that until I can tighten my grip better.

We actually had a couple of guys show up to our class today. It just kills me to watch men do CF because they can just crank this stuff out like it's nothing, especially anything involving the pull-up bar. But one of these days, boys and girls, I vow to be one of those women who can get out there and crank out a bunch of kipping pull-ups that make the guys stop in their tracks. :) One day...

Tabata (actually pronounced "ta-bah-tuh") WODs go for 8 rounds, 20 seconds each, with 10 seconds of planned rest between each round. Depending on which exercises you're doing, this may sound deceivingly easy, like today. Although nothing I've done so far was as hard as "Murph," I still thought to myself later the same day that I love doing CF but as I'm doing it, I'm really hating life! But hating it in such a good way.

I love doing ab mat sit-ups. The mat supports my lower back, and I feel like I could just crank those suckers out forever. I stayed consistent around 10 or 11 per round. My goal through each exercise was to remain consistent or improve in my reps and never to start falling off. That was true for each one. As I said, sit-ups stayed around 10 or 11, superman lifts averaged 16, flutter kicks averaged 10 (based on a military-style four-count), and for plank, the requirement was to stay elevated on the elbows and toes. (For those in pilates or yoga, this move is frequently called sphinx.)

The challenge was akin to the muscle-ups. KTE, or knees-to-elbows, is a "goat" for me. I know I have the core strength to do this one, but there is something going on with mechanics that I can't quite figure out, so I'm getting my knees up but not elevating them up to my elbows and bowing my body. Very confusing. Going to take a lot of practice, unfortunately. Tall, skinny Army boy got up there and cranked out 24 of them. Yeah, thanks. I needed that. :)

I left there thinking, Wow, today was the easiest day I've had so far. Later in the day my entire core was feeling it but not really sore, so I know I did some good. That's what I love about CF. Some days make you feel like you're gonna collapse; other days seem easy but your body lets you know you really were doing work and engaging muscles properly.

I'm looking forward to overhead squats next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got some constructive criticism or kudos? Bring it on! 3...2...1...GO!